Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Delicious bundles of goodness...

So my husband and I stayed home this past Sunday instead of going home for our regular Sunday Dinner. We figured since we were going to be there for the holidays we might as well get some things around the house done.  Well that meant I needed to cook something for Sunday Dinner, which is always a little more special/extravagant then a everyday dinner. We decided on Snow Crab legs, home made cheddar biscuits, and brussels sprouts! I know what you are thinking, brussels sprouts??? Whenever I hear brussels sprouts, I think of the famous vegetable in movies and books that is known for being the worlds worst vegetable. The vegetable all children dreaded... the one they cried over and hid under beds to keep away from! I can honestly say I had no desire, until recently, to try this mystery vegetable! So, I did my usual research and found the most mouth watering recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse on FoodNetwork.com - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/bacon-brussels-sprouts-recipe/index.html

I love cooking, so this new found vegetable and of course the complimenting ingredients (onions, garlic, butter & BACON) got me extremely excited! I started off my preparations by making the biscuit dough, SUPER EASY and DELICIOUS recipe - http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/easy-bake-cheddar-biscuits-106088.aspx. I also started my HUGE pot of boiling water for the crab legs at this time. After the dough was ready I set it aside to rest while I prepared the ingredients for the brussels sprout dish. I tend to modify recipes according to the size and of course our likings so... I used 2 cloves of garlic, 1/4 cup of sweet onion, 6 slices of smoked bacon, butter, s&p, and sugar. Bacon first then remove, add garlic & onion, remove, brown brussels sprouts, then add bacon and G & O and cook with lid on until tender. While that was cooking, I added 1 lemon's juice and rind, and salt to my boiling water. Then I added the crab legs and let simmer for 10 min. While that was going, I rolled my biscuit dough out and put in the over for 10 min (with a pinch of butter on each biscuit). THEN it was time for dinner...

WAIT - we had to spend 10 minutes cracking the shells of the crab legs with a meat tenderizer and cutting them with scissors! OH there is nothing like being under prepared for cracking crab! We didn't have any of the fancy tools they give you in the restaurant, but believe me, we got every single piece of meat out of there! LOL.

The first bite of brussels sprouts blessed with BACON, butter, onions, and garlic was HEAVEN! And you wouldn't believe the difference a pinch of sugar made! I mean these mystery vegetables were absolutely delicious! Bobby and I raved over them for at least 10 minutes while we ate! The cheddar biscuits were also delectable if I say so myself. The crab legs... well who has had bad crab legs? Not anyone I know!!

So, next time you are looking for a new vegetable try this brussels sprout recipe! I mean, technically its a vegetable so its great for you (just forget about the fat in the bacon and butter, LOL)! But literally, it is probably one of the best vegetable dishes I have had in a long time (unless you consider bacon or cheese a vegetable!)

Oh to my new found delicious bundles of goodness... the Brussels Sprout!

As always...  Keep it real, keep it positive, keep it FABULOUS!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna have to get some Brussels sprouts now. I hate them - always have - but ANYTHING with bacon is a-ok in my book. So I'm willing to give them another try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've actually only had brussel sprouts once. I dated a guy that lived in Colorado while I was in college and we spent a week in Steamboat Springs at his cabin. He made them with butter and garlic while we were there and I loved them. I hang out with a bunch of picky eaters though, so I've never made them! I should try it. I tricked my husband into trying a lima bean last week, but tricking him into trying a brussel sprout might be a bit harder...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound delicious. I would love to make them, but Jamie it the pickiest eater ever! It would be a waste to buy them if I was the only one eating them!

    ReplyDelete