Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Day 2: Keep it real or keep it moving!!!



What is "Keeping it Real"? If you Google the term, you get a wide variety of answers to this question. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHNB_en___US338&q=definition+of+keeping+it+real&aq=f&oq=&aqi=


What does keeping it real  or keep it moving mean to me? It means that I stay true to myself and use honesty (not cruelty) as my greatest tool, and I try not to say anything about someone that I wouldn't say to their face. If I cant do that, I dont waste my time pretending, I just move on. 


A couple examples to get us started:


Question: Leeann, how does this shirt look with these jeans?
Answer: Hummm... It looks ok. Why dont you try this pair of jeans though. 
What that person got out of my answer: It looks ok, but not fabulous. CHANGE


Question: Leeann, I slept with 4 people in the last week. Do you think people consider me a hoe?
Answer: Well, you aren't making the best impression on people or the best decisions for your life. Maybe you should practice abstinence for like...EVER
What that person got out of my answer: Ummm yea!!!


Question: Leeann, did you see Pam's status on Facebook. Wow, she is so ridiculously stupid. I hope she looses that fancy new job and wrecks her car into a tree (laughter). I mean, out of all people SHE got that job! I cant wait until her new boss figures out shes a big trash bag and will sleep with every man that walks by!! Have you talked to her lately?
Answer: Megan, is this what you do all day? Stalk people on Facebook (mutual laughter)??? Yea, I talked to her and told her congrats on the new job. You know she has been out of work for like 3 months. I think she almost lost her car! I would hate to be in that situation wouldn't you?  I'm sure their were a lot of people more qualified then her for that job, and yea sometimes she is a big trash bag but she still beat everyone else out of that job... Guess she has something good to offer. 
What that person got out of my answer: Grow up and stop hating on other peoples accomplishments. If you aren't happy, don't bring everyone else down with you! And FYI - I probably just cut you out of the circle for at least 1 month (Im just keeping it moving)!


So, now that you know what I mean when I say "Keeping it Real" we can continue with our conversation. I like to think of myself as an expert, and expert at being ME. This came with 28 years and a MASSIVE amount of time spent with trial and error! And over those 28 years, I learned (often the hard way) that you have to keep it real. If you cant keep it real with someone, what is the point in even continuing the relationship. Whether the relationship is friend, family, or acquaintance... If you cant keep it real with them, isnt it a big fat waste of your time and theirs?? So, if you are wasting your time as we speak with that annoying co-worker who you feel like you have to be nice to, STOP. Instead of "acting" like you want to be their friend, try just a quick smile or hello and keep it moving. Doing this, you saved yourself 10 min of pointless conversation followed by 10 min of frustration because you just wasted 10 min! 


People who don't keep it real are often surrounded by karma, bad karma! These are the people who sit around and talk about other people, but would never say anything to their face. They are the people who choose to gossip and stir the pot just because! If you take a good look at these people, they are often unhappy with something in their life and rather than confronting their issue, they chose to highlight other peoples flaws or problems. This type of behavior starts a chain of events, which usually ends horribly bad. You have to realize and understand that life is always going to be easier if you communicate, say it with me people COM MUN ICATE, your views/problems/issues with those people. They will not only value you for your honesty, but they will respect you for coming to them. Yes, it is true... Good Communication = Mutual Respect. You respect the person for listening to your view, and they respect you for coming to them in a professional/adult manner. So keep it real, or keep it moving!!!!!


Remember, there is a difference between venting and gossiping. Venting should be done with someone that will only listen and understand, no opinions should be shared. Venting should also be kept to a MAXIMUM of 5 minutes. Anything longer than 5 minutes is now considered gossip. Keep that in mind people, its very important. 


So, after reading this entry... Do you feel like you can "Keep it Real or Keep it Moving" with the people that surround your life? 







Remember... Keep it real, keep it positive, keep it FABULOUS!!!




"How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours." - Wayne Dyer

3 comments:

  1. My favorite quote EVER about gossip also happens to be the motto I live by:

    "There's so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, that it ill behooves any of us, to talk about the rest of us."

    ReplyDelete